Ep. 41: UNT Music Entrepreneurship Q&A
Feb 19, 2020
Listen on: iTunes - Spotify - Stitcher - Soundcloud
Spenser answers questions submitted by The University of North Texas Music Entrepreneurship students.
- How do you save up funds?
- What advice can you give to young musicians to track finances?
- Tips on how to create a financial plan?
- What financial mistakes did you make as a young musician and how did you learn from them?
- What do you find are the top issues that musicians are facing currently in terms of finances and making it all come together?
- What advice would you give a young musician wanting to expand his audience if he is new to an area?
- How would you suggest managing time (between college, gigs, practices, writing, being in multiple bands, and time in studio)?
- Would love to hear you talk about the transition between school and the professional world. How did the connections you made and things you worked on during school help you in your first professional endeavors?
- Do you think it is possible in the DFW area to have a successful career as a jazz musician without taking on a heavy teaching load? As a saxophone player myself I want a career in the Metroplex but have trouble finding gigs to play every night.
- What advice do you have for young musicians transitioning to the financially productive stage? (About to graduate).
- Can you tell us a personal experience that jump started your career and put you in the path you are in today?
- Is there a specific moment?
- What are the practical steps for artists just starting to get on top of their financial management (and hopefully future success)?
- What small steps can we be doing as students to make financial security a reality later?
- How did you end up being a financial planner although you didn't major in related areas at school?
- What is the best advice you have for minimizing costs?
- Some tips that you have found are helpful for managing the amount you spend?
- Do you have any tips for doing your taxes and ways to make it easier being self employed?
- The transition from a low financial state to investing on property took courage in order to manifest financial success. Can you share some of those first moves/projects you were involved in that promised the highest return?
Resources & names mentioned:
Grateful to share my story with up-and-coming musicians...
Thank you Jen Guzman for having me!
4 Simple Steps to Save an Emergency Fund (FREE PDF Download): www.SpenserLiszt.com/EmergencyFund
Join the free Thriving Musicians closed Facebook group: www.Facebook.com/groups/ThrivingMusician
Email questions, comments or nominate a Thriving Musician to [email protected]
Follow Spenser online: